This (long) weekend was awesome. It was hilarious, wonderfully relaxing, and just plain fun.
Mother dearest and I tackled D.C.’s best eats including Paul Bakery, Baked & Wired, Kushi, Busboys & Poets, Eastern Market, Open City, Founding Farmers, Nage, and so many more I lost count.
Armed with daily deal certificates to use up, we ordered our fair share of appetizers, sides, desserts, snacks, etc. That included crab grits, crabcakes, cornbread, sesame kale, white chocolate bread pudding, and carrot cake. Oh yes, carrot cake the size of your head.
Delicious. And it was fun! Loads of fun.
But while at our “last supper” at Nage before Mum flew home, we both agreed that were in need of a little break from indulgent food escapades.
And now that we have our memories of a D.C. Easter, I think we’re both ready to recover from what can only we described as an epic food coma.
So that’s what I ‘m doing this week! Trying to eat mindfully and cleanly.
That’s not to say I didn’t exercise eat well this past week—I’m just ready to go back to “normal eating” again. Still delicious, just slightly less indulgent.
In other words, hugh jass salads sound amazing right now.
So here’s what I’ll be doing:
10 Days of Clean Eating
- Lots of
- Balanced meals
- //veggies – lots of greens & sweet potatoes, please!
- // whole grains – quinoa, brown rice, and oatmeal will definitely be making an appearance
- // lean proteins – beans, tofu, eggs, edamame, fish (if possible), seitan and cheese (very sparingly)
- // healthy fats! – nut butter/nuts, mono and polyunsaturated oils
- Water or tea, coffee in moderation
- Mindful eating
- Eating SLOWLY
- Listening to hunger signals
- Eating when hungry, stopping when full
- Moderate exercise and sleep
- Okay, so this doesn’t exactly have to do with food, but it is definitely necessary.
- Less of
- Refined white flour and white sugar—totally NOT in the mood for dessert right now
- Highly processed goods (chips, pretezels, goldfish, protein bars, granola bars, etc.)
- Mindless eating
- Eating out of boredom or stress
- Eating only because other people are eating
B will be partaking in this challenge with me (though I’m sure she’ll modify to her needs), but if you would care to partake, just let me know !
Back soon for Day 1, Part 1 of Clean Eats & Springtime Feats.